This permanent visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or relative and not nominated by a state or territory government.
The application for this visa is by invitations only. You must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply for this visa. Once invited, the visa must be lodged within 60 days.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.
To lodge an EOI and visa application, you must:
- Be under 45 years of age at the time of invitation to apply
- Meet the minimum English language requirement (Competent English)
- Have skills and qualifications for an occupation listed on an eligible skilled occupation list called Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- Have a relevant skills assessment
- Meet the minimum points score (currently 65)
- Meet health and character requirements
This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely with full work, travel and study rights.
- Apply for Medicare
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).