Finishing Studies Soon? What’s next?

International Students in Australia may be eligible for temporary visas (also called TR or 485 visas) once they complete eligible Australian qualifications.

Finishing a course means different things for different people. Some graduates may be ready to enter the workforce the minute they graduate, while others might find the decision a little more difficult. If you are not quite sure where you are heading once you finish studying, read on as we explain your options.

Here are some of the things you can do once you have graduated!

Take some time out to relax
After years of study, you may want to relax or have some time to yourself before you start looking for work. This might mean taking a few months to travel. Australia is a large, beautiful and diverse country; if you want to spend some time exploring the country and taking a well-earned break, a tourist visa or other type of temporary visa would be a good option or take a break to enjoy a few sleep-ins.

Complete further studies
Many international students choose to stay on in Australia to complete further studies or gain a higher level of qualification, such as a graduate diploma or master’s degree. Continuing your studies will enable you to maximise your time in Australia, get the most out of an education system that you are now familiar with and gain the advanced qualifications and skills needed to get a job.

Working holiday
People aged between 18 and 30 from approved countries can apply for a ‘working holiday visa’ or a ‘work and holiday visa’, which allows them to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months.

Gain professional work experience
Engineering, accounting, and computer science graduates can complete a Professional Year Program. This program is ideal for students who want to qualify for permanent residency in Australia because those who complete it, earn an extra 5 points to qualify for a skilled migration visa.

Volunteer in Australia
It is no secret that Australia is one of the top destinations for worthwhile volunteer abroad experiences. It is a satisfying and a learning experience and looks good on your resume!

Beef up Your Communication Skills
As cantankerous as it sounds, the digital age is indeed killing our face-to-face, IRL communication. This is good advice for anyone, really, but it can be especially critical when you are young, inexperienced, and perhaps too used to communicating over email or text.

Picking up a new skill
DIY is always going to be useful; rather than calling your parents or landlord for help, maybe try teaching yourself to be self-proficient? Have you ever bled a radiator? Put up some shelves? There are plenty of tutorials online, you need to start looking.

Write a poem, a story or share experiences
If there’s something you are enthusiastic about, write about it. You can start a blog or contribute to an existing blog — while it is unlikely to make much money for you, it’s a rewarding experience and helps you sharpen your writing skills and showcase your talent to online communities.

Find a graduate job
Even this late in the game, it is not too late to find a graduate job. Look for companies that offer career progression so that once you have completed your graduate placement, you may be able to move into a permanent role within the company. Some companies will rotate you around different departments so you can get a feel for what sort of area you might want to progress into. These can include IT, finance, HR, marketing and business development.

Plan extended stay if you are an International Student

Many international students enjoy their time in Australia so much that they apply for further visas (temporary or permanent), so they can continue to live and work in Australia. The most common visa applied by an international student is the TR or 485 visa.

The process for Australian visas is usually not straightforward and take a lot of careful planning, information gathering and consultations with visa experts.

As a starting point, refer to Department of Home Affair’s website for further visa options.

Once you have the basic information, it’s best to consult with reputed Registered Migration Agents (RMA) for a detailed consultation tailored to suit your residency goals.

It’s important to note that you should only consult with a Migration Agent who is registered with OMARA (Office of the Migration Agents Regulation Authority). It is illegal to provide immigration assistance in Australia without registration and it leads to poor advice, loss of money and in worst cases, getting your visa application rejected or cancelled. Read here about why you should hire a Registered Migration Agent (RMA).

Interested to know more?

Click here to book a FREE 15-minute phone call with one of our friendly consultants. You may also fill out the Online Assessment Form for a free assessment to know your eligibility for a visa to Australia.


The above article constitutes only generic information on migration issues, and does not constitute specific migration advice to any entity or individual.

Professional Year programs in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart and Brisbane

Securing your job upon completion of courses can be demanding! Fortunately, for students completing Accounting, Engineering and IT courses have Professional Year option which empowers them for workplace with a bonus of 5 migration points for PR visa!

Through Professional Year, it can be more meaningful, as it is acquainted with numerous opportunities and knowledge to their relevant employment industry and helps gain insight and experience in the Australian workplace.

We take great pride in ourselves on providing quality professional year courses to students and focus on your career success. 

What is the Professional Year?

A Professional Year (PY) program is for international students who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in either Accounting (SMIPA), ICT or Engineering.

You can do this program while on 485 (Temporary Graduate) visa with at least 12 months validity or; hold a Secondary Visa with work and study rights with at least 12 months’ validity.

Overseas Engineering graduates can do PY program whilst holding 476 visas. A positive skills assessment in an Engineering occupation is mandatory to enrol in an Engineering PY program.

A Professional Year program is delivered in 44 weeks, consisting of

  • 32-week classroom teaching (theory)
  • 12-week full-time work placements (internship)

A Professional Year helps a student to have robust workplace skills, gain experience and prepare for the right job!
Professional Year programs provide:

  • Fully fledged and knowledgeable industry-based trainers
  • Excellent employment outcomes
  • Flexibility in timetable according to YOUR weekly schedule
  • Guaranteed internship placements
  • Access to leading business representatives and business networking events

Successful completion of a Professional Year program also guarantees you 5 points towards your PR!

Our Professional Year Partners

My Migration is proud to be partnered with some of the best Professional Year providers in Australia:

  • Navitas
  • Monash College
  • Performance Education
  • ECA
  • and many more
Why apply through My Migration?

With over 14 years of experience in education and migration, and a team of highly knowledgeable professionals, we can provide what is the best for our clients.

Our solution oriented team works closely with our clients to understand their career and migration goals, and guide them with genuine advice and assistance.

We offer unbeatable scholarship packages combined with unmatched service quality.

For more information about a PY program, please fill out the form here! and one of our consultants will contact you. Alternatively, feel free to drop in to our office!

You may also fill out the Online Assessment Form for a free assessment to know your eligibility for a visa to Australia.