Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (Subclass 482)

This temporary visa lets you work for your approved sponsor in a nominated occupation. This visa may be granted for up to 48 months.

You must be sponsored by an approved business in an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list.

Your sponsor must apply to become an approved sponsor and then nominate you for the position.


To become a sponsor, your business must:

  • Be lawfully operating business
  • Meet training requirements (Australian businesses only)
  • Have no adverse information against your business
  • Must demonstrate their commitment to employing local labour as well as non-discriminatory recruitment practices.

The sponsorship for start-up business (trading for less than 12 months) will be approved for 18 months. If your business has been trading for more than 12 months, the sponsorship will be approved for 5 years.

There are certain obligations as a sponsor, which you must comply with. If you do not meet your obligations, sanctions can be placed by the DHA.

Please contact us to know more about sponsorship eligibility requirements and obligations.


Basic requirements for your business to meet to nominate the applicant:

  • Employment contract with the applicant
  • Offer market salary and meet the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT), which is currently $53,900
  • Prove that you provide equivalent terms and conditions of employment
  • You have undertaken Labour Market Testing (LMT), if applicable

Validity of nomination

Nomination is usually valid for 12 months. The 482 visa application must be lodged before the expiry of the nomination.

Visa Application

To lodge the visa application, you must:

  • Have been nominated by an approved business
  • Be nominated to work in an occupation on the CSOL
  • Meet the skills requirement for the nominated occupation
  • Meet registration and licensing obligations (if applicable)
  • Meet minimum English language requirement (unless exempted)
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Have an appropriate health insurance

The visa can be granted for up to four years. If your sponsor is a start-up business, then the visa will be granted for 18 months.

This visa allows you to:

  • Work in Australia for up to four years
  • Bring your family to work or study in Australia
  • Travel in and out of Australia as often as you want

After 3 years of working for the sponsoring business, you can be eligible for permanent visa through Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS โ€“ subclass 186) or Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS โ€“ subclass 187) visa.

You can also be eligible for other permanent visas.

Contact us to find out your eligibility and let us guide you towards your permanent migration goal.

Employers are encouraged to contact us to understand the sponsorship process, including their obligations.

Please Book a Consultation for an initial assessment and find out if you are eligible for an Australian visa and let us guide you towards your Australian migration goal.

Have a question? Get in touch!