Student Visas


If you are applying for your Student Visa through the Department of Home Affairs online lodgement facility, you will need the details of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment to lodge your visa application.

You should make sure that you meet requirements for a student visa before you accept an offer and pay any tuition fees.


There are some basic requirements that must be met by the applicant before a student visa is granted.

Basic requirements are:

  • Enrolment in a course suitable for international students
  • Qualification requirements
  • English language proficiency
  • Financial capability
  • Health checks
  • Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC)
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

The genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) is an integrity measure to ensure that only genuine applicants are granted a student visa.

The factors that are considered during assessment of the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement include:

  • your personal circumstances in your home country, including economic and political as well as family ties
  • your potential circumstances in Australia
  • the value of the course to your future
  • your immigration history, and
  • any other matter that is relevant to your intention to remain in Australia temporarily.

If you are a minor, the intentions of your parent, legal guardian or spouse will also be considered.

The information provided in your application form and supporting documentation will be used to assess the GTE requirement. You may be requested to provide additional information in relation to the factors set out above.

Living expenses

Typically, an international student would require about AU$20,000 to meet living expense in one year.

Working while studying

International students are allowed to work for 40 hours per fortnight during their studies and full time during their holidays. Dependent family members can only work for 40 hours per fortnight.

If you are studying a course at Master on a Subclass 573 visa, your dependent family member can work full time.

You and your family member can work full time if you have commenced a Masters (Research) or PhD degree on a Subclass 574 visa.

Extending or renewing your student visa

If your student visa is expiring soon, you can apply for a further student visa. International students might want to study further and therefore, need a student visa to lawfully study in Australia. You must meet student visa requirements again when extending your visa.

Contact us for assistance with enrolment and student visa applications. We can assess your current course and guide you for further studies and visas.

Temporary residency for international students

International students graduating from Australian institutes may be eligible for temporary visa (Temporary Graduate โ€“ 485 visa). This visa is granted from 18 months to 48 months, depending on the level of studies completed.

Permanent residency for international students

Australian migration regulations allow international students to apply for number of different visas after completing their studies. However, laws applicable at the time of application apply and relevant criterion must be met.

There are number of skilled migration visa options available for international students who have completed at least 2 years of Australian study.

Contact us to find out more about these visa options and let us guide you towards your permanent migration goal.

Please note that only Registered Migration Agents can provide immigration assistance in Australia. It is illegal to provide immigration advice without being registered with OMARA (Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority). Being Registered Migration Agents, we can provide accurate immigration advice by acting in an ethical and honest manner.