The Skilled Work Regional (provisional) (Subclass 491) visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated regional area of Australia or nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency.
The application for this visa is by invitations only. You must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply for this visa. Once invited, the visa must be lodged within 60 days.
- You may be in or outside Australia to lodge a valid visa application
- This visa allows you to live and work in specified regional areas in Australia for up to five years
- After 3 years on this visa, you may be eligible to meet the requirements for a permanent Subclass 191 visa (coming into effect on 16 November 2022).
Basic requirements to lodge visa application:
- You must be invited to apply via SkillSelect
- You must be under 45 years of age at the time of invitation to apply
- You must meet the minimum English language requirement (Competent English)
- You must have a positive skills assessment from the relevant skills assessing authority in relation to your nominated occupation
- You have been nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated regional area
- You must meet the minimum points score at the time of invitation to apply for the visa.
- You must meet health and character requirements
If you have an eligible relative to sponsor you for the 491 visa
The eligible relative can sponsor you for this visa if they:
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Live in a designated regional area of Australia
- Are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- be your or your partner’s eligible relative
The eligible relative must be related to you or your partner as a:
- a parent
- a child or step-child
- a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister
- an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
- a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece
- a grandparent, or
- a first cousin
This visa lets you:
- Stay in Australia for up to five years, with full travel and work rights
- Live, work and study in a designated areas or specified regions of Australia
- work in any occupation and for any employer in line with the work and residence conditions attached to your visa.
This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Subclass 191 visa.
New Zealand passport holders
If an immigration officer processes your clearance at our border, we recommend you tell them:
- you have a Skilled Work Regional (provisional) (Subclass 491) visa
- you do not want a Special Category visa (subclass 444)
If you do not tell them, you might be granted the subclass 444 visa. Grant of a subclass 444 visa might affect your eligibility for permanent residency through the Subclass 191 visa and ultimately, your eligibility for permanent residency or Australian citizenship.
Please Book a Consultation for an initial assessment and find out if you are eligible for an Australian visa and let us guide you towards your Australian migration goal.