This provisional visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia or by an Australian state or territory government agency. This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in specified regional areas in Australia for up to four years.
The application for this visa is by invitations only. The applicant must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply for this visa. Once invited, the visa must be lodged within 60 days.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.
Basic requirements to lodge visa application:
- Be invited to apply via SkillSelect
- Be under 45 years of age at the time of invitation to apply
- Meet the minimum English language requirement (Competent English)
- Have skills and qualifications for an occupation listed on relevant skilled occupation list
- Have been nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
- Meet the minimum points score (currently 65)
- Meet health and character requirements
If you have an eligible relative to sponsor you for the 489 visa
The eligible relative can sponsor you for this visa if they:
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Live in a designated area of Australia
- Are an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The eligible relative must be related to you or your partner as a:
- Child or stepchild
- Parent or step-parent
- Brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle
- Grandparent or first cousin.
Extended Stay Pathway: Holders of visa subclasses 496, 495, 487 or 475 can apply for subclass 489 visa for a further stay of one year.
This visa lets you:
- Stay in Australia for up to four years, with full travel rights
- Live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia
This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 887)
Please Book a Consultation for an initial assessment and find out if you are eligible for an Australian visa and let us guide you towards your Australian migration goal.