Finishing Studies Soon? What’s next?

International Students in Australia may be eligible for temporary visas (also called TR or 485 visas) once they complete eligible Australian qualifications.

Finishing a course means different things for different people. Some graduates may be ready to enter the workforce the minute they graduate, while others might find the decision a little more difficult. If you are not quite sure where you are heading once you finish studying, read on as we explain your options.

Here are some of the things you can do once you have graduated!

Take some time out to relax

After years of study, you may want to relax or have some time to yourself before you start looking for work. This might mean taking a few months to travel. Australia is a large, beautiful and diverse country; if you want to spend some time exploring the country and taking a well-earned break, a tourist visa or other type of temporary visa would be a good option or take a break to enjoy a few sleep-ins.

Complete further studies

Many international students choose to stay on in Australia to complete further studies or gain a higher level of qualification, such as a graduate diploma or master’s degree. Continuing your studies will enable you to maximise your time in Australia, get the most out of an education system that you are now familiar with and gain the advanced qualifications and skills needed to get a job.

Working holiday

People aged between 18 and 30 from approved countries can apply for a ‘working holiday visa’ or a ‘work and holiday visa’, which allows them to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months.

Gain professional work experience
Engineering, accounting, and computer science graduates can complete a Professional Year Program. This program is ideal for students who want to qualify for permanent residency in Australia because those who complete it, earn an extra 5 points to qualify for a skilled migration visa.

Volunteer in Australia

It is no secret that Australia is one of the top destinations for worthwhile volunteer abroad experiences. It is a satisfying and a learning experience and looks good on your resume!

 Beef up Your Communication Skills

As cantankerous as it sounds, the digital age is indeed killing our face-to-face, IRL communication. This is good advice for anyone, really, but it can be especially critical when you are young, inexperienced, and perhaps too used to communicating over email or text.

Picking up a new skill

DIY is always going to be useful; rather than calling your parents or landlord for help, maybe try teaching yourself to be self-proficient? Have you ever bled a radiator? Put up some shelves? There are plenty of tutorials online, you need to start looking.

Write a poem, a story or share experiences

If there’s something you are enthusiastic about, write about it. You can start a blog or contribute to an existing blog — while it is unlikely to make much money for you, it’s a rewarding experience and helps you sharpen your writing skills and showcase your talent to online communities.

Find a graduate job

Even this late in the game, it is not too late to find a graduate job. Look for companies that offer career progression so that once you have completed your graduate placement, you may be able to move into a permanent role within the company. Some companies will rotate you around different departments so you can get a feel for what sort of area you might want to progress into. These can include IT, finance, HR, marketing and business development.

Plan extended stay if you are an International Student

Many international students enjoy their time in Australia so much that they apply for further visas (temporary or permanent), so they can continue to live and work in Australia. The most common visa applied by an international student is the TR or 485 visa.

The process for Australian visas is usually not straightforward and take a lot of careful planning, information gathering and consultations with visa experts.

As a starting point, refer to Department of Home Affair’s website for further visa options.

Once you have the basic information, it’s best to consult with reputed Registered Migration Agents (RMA) for a detailed consultation tailored to suit your residency goals.

It’s important to note that you should only consult with a Migration Agent who is registered with OMARA (Office of the Migration Agents Regulation Authority). It is illegal to provide immigration assistance in Australia without registration and it leads to poor advice, loss of money and in worst cases, getting your visa application rejected or cancelled. Read here about why you should hire a Registered Migration Agent (RMA).

Interested to know more?

Click here to book a FREE 15 minute phone call with one of our friendly consultants. You may also fill out the Online Assessment Form for a free assessment to know your eligibility for a visa to Australia.

Author: Jag Khairra
I am a Registered Migration Agent (RMA) based in Melbourne, Australia. I advise and assist clients who are looking to call Australia their home. I have been doing so since 2006. I try to read at least 10 books a year, meditate everyday, enjoy photography, love watching movies and listening to music. Sometimes, I binge watch Netflix (and other streaming services). MARN 0634839

The above article constitutes only generic information on migration issues, and does not constitute specific migration advice to any entity or individual.

Share with: